There are many ways to make our communities and Province more bicycle friendly and safe, and there are two key reasons for giving support to cycling…. benefits and public opinion.
Support for Bicycles? Why do That!!
There are many ways to get more people on bicycles and to make our communities and Province more bicycle friendly and safe. Some of these ways include:
- More cycling infrastructure like paved shoulders and bike lanes from good engineering, planning and design,
- Enhanced pubic education for cyclists and motorists,
- Better laws and enforcement,
- Active encouragement, and
- Evaluating what works and what does not work
There are two key reasons why our society should support cycling:
- The many benefits derived from cycling, and
- Supportive public opinion.
Benefits– Share the Road Cycling Coalition has the following infographic that clearly demonstrates how cycling can benefit the following important topics:
- community health
- traffic congestion and modal choice
- local business
- affordability and equitability
- climate change and sustainable communities
Public Opinion – Take a look at the results obtain from a 2018 Nanos public opinion poll, conducted by Share the Road Cycling Coalition. Graphics convey the following supportive pubic opinions:
- Percent of Ontarians that agree the Provincial Government should invest in:
- Cycling Infrastructure – 67%
- New cycling education program – 61%
- 32% (3.5 million) of Ontarians would like to cycle to or from work
70% support making it more convenient to take bikes on buses