Share the Road Cycling Coalition – Bike Summit on April 16, 17 & 18, 2018
Bike Niagara (Left, Ken Forgeron, right David Hunt) attended this year’s Ontario Bike Summit in Toronto and heard all about the great things happening in support of cycling throughout the Province and elsewhere.
Bike Niagara attended this year’s Ontario Bike Summit in Toronto and heard all about the great things happening in support of cycling throughout the Province and elsewhere. This summary provides the key highlights as it pertains to Ontario and is taken from the Niagara Region’s Niagara Active Transportation Updates.
Announcements!!! Cycling in Ontario and the Ontario Bike Summit
This year’s Ontario Bike Summit (OBS) was incredible as always. If you haven’t attended the OBS before, mark your calendar for April next year. There were a few things to celebrate this year as well as some information that can be useful in your community. Here are some of the highlights.
- Our very own Lisa Gallant was awarded the Wheels of Change Award recognizing her efforts in improving cycling in Niagara. Lisa is our second Wheels of Change Award winner in Niagara, along with David Hunt in 2013. Congratulations!
- Minister McGarry announced Action Plan 2.0. This Plan follows #CycleON: Ontario’s Cycling Strategy, Plan 1.0, which brought in much of the current funding and priority setting. Check out Bike Plan 2.0 here
- The new Cycling Skills Guide is here with more information on how to use new cycling infrastructure
- Check out the release of Provincial Cycling Network
- At the MTO presentation on the cycling infrastructure funding they noted that they have not determined an announce date for 2018-19 funding yet, but a notice will be sent to all municipalities when it is open. Municipalities who have not previously submitted for funding can do so.
Here is the Minister’s media release for more detail on the announcements.